Pan Seared Scallops over Butter Lettuce & Mixed Tomato Salad
This colorful salad was part of my Mom’s Seafood Extravaganza dinner. We put an Asian flair but wanted to keep it simple so we used the Nuoc Mam Ot Recipe as a light dressing. Be sure to not over-dress the salad as the scallops will provide a lot of flavor and you do not want to overwhelm the scallops. Originally I had planned a nice bacon vinaigrette but in keeping with the Asian theme I switched it up with the Spicy Fish Sauce instead (Nuoc Mam Ot).
I was able to find these amazing jumbo sea scallops from Central Market. They were a little pricey but since we were serving this as a salad, two was more than enough for each person. One more tip is that the scallops soak up the seasoning really well. I don’t cook scallops often and I over salted them Still edible but I was definitely disappointed! They could have been so much more amazing had I been more experienced with them.
Great news is you can prepare the salad in a large bowl beforehand and then serve immediately once the scallops are done.
INGREDIENTS – I won’t be exact since this is just a salad and my portions were for 14 people!
- Jumbo Sea Scallops – 2 per person if you are serving this as a small plate. 3-4 for a larger salad
- Butter Lettuce
- Tomatoes – I bought yellow, orange and red to spruce up the color
- Bag of your favorite Salad Mix
READY TO COOK
- Rinse the scallops with cold water and pat dry. I used a few paper towels on a plate.
- Add a pad of butter in a saute pan on high heat.
- Sprinkle the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper. Be sure not to over salt.
- Sear the scallops for about 1-2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have a nice golden color on each side .
- Plate the salad and top with the scallops and serve with a Nuoc Mam Ot Recipe or other light dressing.