Thai Style Steamed Mussels
I made these mussels as an appetizer for my Mom’s Seafood Extravaganza dinner. I served each bowl with a slice to toasted french baguette to soak up the flavorful broth. My mom actually loved the broth so much she sipped it all up! I purchased the mussels from Central Market, they “debearded” the mussels and come very clean and fresh. If you aren’t so lucky to find the debearded ones, use a towel to rip off the “hairs” off each mussel and scrub them clean.
If you are serving these, you cannot make them too far ahead of time. However, you can prepare the broth before and just bring it to a boil when you are ready to serve. Be sure to serve it with a spoon because the broth will be delicious!
- 4lbs mussels – 4lbs served 14 people with a small bowl of about 8-10 mussels as an appetizer
- 1 cup sliced ginger – be sure to peel off the skin
TIP: use a spoon to scrape off the skin, it’s easier to navigate around the ginger knobs vs using a vegetable peeler.
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass – cut into 3 inch pieces
- 8-10 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 cloves shallots- minced
- Handful of fresh basil leaves- roughly chopped
- Juice from 2 lemon
- 1 bunch of scallions- minced
- Zest from a lime and lemon – You won’t need to zest the entire lime and lemon, just about 1/4 of each.
TIP: if you don’t have a zester, just use your vege peeler and use a few strips of the peel from each into the broth
- 1/2 cup white wine – chardonnay is what we used
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 fresh chili peppers
- 4 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large pot (8-10 quarts) with LID
- 1 french baguette
- Olive Oil
- Olive Oil Mister
- Baking Sheet
- Preheat the oven for 350 degrees – convection bake
- Foil the baking pan and use your oil mister to spray the foil
- Slice the french baguette into small pieces
- Place on the pan and spray a layer of olive oil on each side
- Place baking pan in the oven for 15 minutes or until slightly brown
- Set aside until cool and crispy!
- Prep all the ingredients beforehand
- Add the chicken broth to the pot, turn on high.
- Add all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add in all the mussels and put the lid on the pot. Allow for the mussels to cook and open up for about 8 minutes. If they are not opened yet, give it a little more time.
- Once they have opened up, serve in bowls and enjoy! Have fun dipping the crustinis in the sauce and pair with a nice, chilled Chardonnay!